Koalas and Kangaroos

This post was in response to "Our World, Our Numbers" and a post about the kangaroo and koala.

Australian Animals

After reading the post on Australian animals, I thought I would put together two You Tube clips, one of "Sapphire" the koala and the other on the eastern grey kangaroo. Here are the photos of the stars...

Schools and students have permission to use this graphic for non-commercial, educational purposes.

Location: Potoroo Palace, N.S.W., Australia

Below are the two videos created for you...

Eastern Grey Kangaroo

Schools and students have permission to use this video clip for non-commercial, educational purposes.

Koala - "Sapphire"

4 thoughts on “Koalas and Kangaroos

1. Anthony

To Ross Mannell,

The koala did’t move at the start. The baby koala is so cute.

I’ve never seen a kangaroo so close up before.

From a blogging buddy
    Anthony (4KJ)

Reply
    1. rossmannell

Post author

To Anthony,

Thanks for the comment.

Considering koalas are only awake two to four hours each day, most of the time they are curled up in a tree fork and asleep but I was able to film them moving. The kangaroos hopped up to me. I think they knew I had some food for them. You can see my hand in the video clip. A number of animal parks allow people close encounters with gentle kangaroos but we should never approach wild kangaroos because they can be dangerous if afraid.

@RossMannell

Reply
  2. sophie

Dear rossmannell,

Thanks for your nice comment.

Have you ever seen a real kangeroo or koala before?

from,
    Sophie

Reply
    1. rossmannell

Post author

Dear Sophie,

The video clips were filmed by me. I have seen koalas in the wild as well as in zoos and animal sanctuaries and have held one. Kangaroos are very familiar to me. I see eastern grey kangaroos and swamp wallabies almost every time I go bushwalking. They are very common in my area.

As with all wild animals, I never approach them. If they are afraid, they can attack you. In zoos and sanctuaries, some of the animals have been raised by people or have learnt not to fear humans so they can be approached. 🙂

@RossMannell

Reply