Global Marionettes & the Battalion Hawk Bloggers

Battalion Hawk Bloggers have prepared a post on their marionettes...

Presenting...our GLOBAL Marionettes!

Hello Battalion Hawk Bloggers,

I was very impressed when I saw your Global Marionette presentation. With 200 nations in our world, it can be hard to decide which countries to represent and/or study but you have chosen four very interesting countries of a most certainly global nature. Here are our world's seven continents in their order from largest to smallest area and the countries you have chosen...

Asia - India - Often said to be the Indian sub-continent because it had once been separate but continental drift had it collide into Asia and caused the rise of the Himalayan mountains.

Public Domain graphic sourced through Wikimedia Commons

Flag of India

Nations of Asia table

Africa - Tunisia - The smallest North African nation.

Flag of Tunisia

List of sovereign states & dependent territories in Africa

North America - This is your home continent so you have it covered. You live there.

List of sovereign states and dependent territories in North America

South America - Peru - We have shared your studies on this country.

Flag of Peru

List of sovereign states and dependent territories in South America

Antarctica - This continent is international. While some countries, including Australia, lay claim to parts of it there are no real borders and no people living there permanently.

Europe - Ukraine - Once part of the former U.S.S.R., it is an independent nation.

Schools and students have permission to use this graphic for non-commercial, educational purposes.

Flag of Ukraine

List of sovereign states and dependent territories in Europe

Australia - The only continent that is one country. I don't know of any national costume for Australia so clothing for a marionette could have many options. As well as the native Australians (Aborigines), Australians have many cultural backgrounds. My heritage before Australia is Scottish and English but I know my ancestors stretch across Europe, Africa and Asia. We are all in one big family.

Flag of Australia

Types of Puppetry

All of the below embedded You Tube clips are not my work.

Since I was little, puppets have interested me so I carried out a little research through Wikipedia to see what kinds of puppets can be made. Here are the types and You Tube clips of some I found and I must admit I hadn't heard of all the listed types...

• Black light puppet

Chelsea, Rayann and Rebecca from Battalion Hawk Bloggers were interested in black light puppetry. I explained black light (ultraviolet) puppetry doesn't need to be complicated. White paint or material can be used to make the puppets. Below is another black light puppet video from You Tube. The puppets are gloved hands with the people wearing black...

An ad has been playing on Australian television recently. It seems to be the actors in the ad are wearing fluorescent suits where colours can be turned off and on. They look like black light  puppets but may be black light/body puppets.

• Bunraku puppet

• Carnival or body puppet

• Finger puppet

• Sock puppet

• Hand puppet or glove puppet

• Human-arm puppet

• Light curtain puppet

• Marionette

Jayden and Joyce were interested in the goat marionette video so I've embedded another video clip, this time of a marionette clip from "The Sound of Music".

• Marotte

• Pull string puppet

• Push puppet

• Toy theatre

• Rod puppet

• Shadow puppet

• Supermarionation

• Ticklebug

• Table top puppet

• Ventriloquism dummy

• Water puppet

• Object Puppet

I've added another below because this type includes my favourite puppet you will see at the end of the post. This type is really two types combined.

• Hand and Rod Puppet

Wikipedia Reference if you want to find out more....   Types of Puppetry

Can you see what type of puppets you made? Visit the "Types of Puppetry" link to read more.

Over the years I have made, used or seen a number of the puppet types. My classes have made finger, glove, shadow, sock and rod puppets. They can be sometimes messy to make but are always fun, especially when they're ready to use. 🙂

Recently, puppets have made it to big stage productions. Perhaps some of you have heard of the production, "War Horse". I find their puppets fascinating, particularly the adult horse, Joey. Below is a You Tube clip showing the ad for the production. Watch to see how puppets become "real" members of the stage show.

This is an embedded You Tube clip and is not my work.

Who or what is my favourite puppet? He is a hand and rod puppet you might know...

Christopher was asking about The Muppets and the number of types they used. Below are some more Muppet clips. You will see glove, glove and rod, and body puppets. Cane you see other types?

Body puppets start what once introduced The Muppet Show on television.

This clip shows glove puppets. At the end Kermit (glove and rod) appears.

And for another student who likes Elmo.

3 thoughts on “Global Marionettes & the Battalion Hawk Bloggers

1. Anonymous

Hi Ross!

We LOVED this extended comment … as usual … and came away with SO much more knowledge … and MORE questions and things we want to further research! You ALWAYS extend our learning and create even MORE curiosity in our learning journey! We know that there will be MANY Battalion Hawk Bloggers will be going home to FURTHER their puppet knowledge, thanks to you!

http://rossmannellcomments.edublogs.org/2013/05/23/global-marionettes-the-battalion-hawk-bloggers/

Here are some of our thoughts about your Global Marionette Post:

“Thank you for leaving ANOTHER comment! We are so sorry that it took us so long to reply! My favourite puppet is the Bunraku puppet and the tickle bug! You taught us a lot too! We only knew about a few of the puppets you have listed, like the sock puppet, rod puppet and the shadow puppet! We loved how you only did videos for only a few of the puppets! We would like to find out what a water and object and light curtain, and carnival or body puppet is too! For the research that we did on the wikipedia we that you provided for us, we realized that the puppets we made are ROD puppets! You make our brains think a lot! Thank you once again for your AMAZING comment, Ross!” ~Lauren and Ella

“Hi Ross! Thank you so much … we worked very hard on “presenting our Global Marionettes”! Yes, it was pretty hard to decide which country to choose, but we had a little help from a little friend I like to call “curriculum”! I personally know the story of how India joined Asia and created the Himalayas. But many of my classmates didn’t before you told us! Wow. We didn’t know Tunisia was the smallest country in Africa. I wonder if any city will ever grow on Antarctica? I didn’t know that Ukraine was once a part of the Soviet Union! Canada is kind of like Australia in the way that we have no main traditional clothing, (unless you count the first nations clothing). Cool – your back ground is kind of like mine. Yours is English and Scottish. Mine is English, Scottish, Irish and French. For example, my last mane is Scottish. Oh … puppets interested you since you were little! I was never really interested in them until now! That was a lot of types of puppets! My favourite type is probably the black light puppet! We discovered that our marionettes are actually rod puppets! Ha! Ha! Kermit the frog is probably one of the all time favourites. Yes … puppets have sky rocketed on the charts! Your videos were AWESOME!” Ben

“Hi Ross! We are glad you liked our marionette presentation! Yes … we agree. It is a hard decision to decide between all those countries! We think that’s fascinating that the Himalayan mountains formed because Asia and India collided! Wow. It’s cool that Tunisia is the smallest nation in northern Africa. We do have it covered … we do know lots of interesting facts about North America! You guys are like us. We don’t really have traditional clothing either. We wonder what inspired you to get interested in puppets. Our class didn’t know that there are so many different types of puppets! We bet that there are even more types of puppets! We really enjoyed your comment, Ross!” ~Danny, Chris P and Tommy

“Hi Ross! I liked the puppets with the videos! I have a question! I don’t know what a water puppet is! I liked the shows with the puppets!” ~Dimitri

“Hi Ross! Thank you for leaving an Extended Comment! We LOVED the first puppet video – they were the funniest puppets we’ve ever seen. Kermit was cute! We LOVED the War Horse productions … it’s AMAZING how STRONG the puppet horses were!” ~Chelsea, Rayann and Rebecca

“Hi Ross! Thank you SO much for leaving a comment! I LOVED your puppet videos! My favourite video is the marionette goat video! The goat looked VERY real! All the puppet types were neat! The video where the turtle puppet and the guy looked like the turtle was actually talking. I found that the black light puppet video was funny and weird. Funny how the puppets were dancing and weird how some of the puppets looked. The Bunraku puppet video was cool, and at some points, it looked like theh puppet was fighting! Ross, I really LOVE how in EVERY comment you leave, you’re ALWAYS inspiring us with a TON of interesting facts. Thank you once again for leaving an AWESOME comment! They always ROCK!” ~Jayden

“Hi Ross! Thanks for the amazing comment! My favourite puppets are the rod and string puppets. I think the best video was the “It’s not easy being green” video. It’s funny because at the end Kermit the Frog says I like’s being green! I wonder if all of the muppets are rod and stick puppets? How many kinds of puppets are there? I couldn’t count all the puppets you listed! Have you ever seen the Muppets? Thank you, Ross … ! you have encouraged me to start making puppets!” ~Christopher

“Hi Ross! Thank you for the wonderful comment! We appreciate the time you spend on us! Your favourite puppet is Kermit the frog? Do you know Mine Craft? There’s a player named “Kermit” in it! I am wondering … if Peru and Tunisia were the same shape, which would be bigger? Asia is totally bigger than North America … but it’s also the same comparison for the Americas and Afro-Eurasia, Asia, Europe, Africa). Again, thank you for one of your amazing comments!” ~AJ

“Hi Ross! Thank you for your wonderful comment. All 3 of us know about the Himalayan Mountains. We also know about the Continental Drift from long ago! Tre’s favourite kind of puppet is the sock puppet. Amro’s favourite puppets are the black light puppets. Tre’s second favourite puppet is Elmo. Even though Elmo is a kind of babyish puppet, Elmo is a favourite character for old and young! Kermit is also a great puppet.” ~Amro, Elijah and Tre

“Hi Ross! We love that you did some research and put some youtube videos on your blog! It’s cool to see different puppets move. The black light puppets ROCK singing the song! We never heard of the Bunraku puppets. Mrs. Renton said that she has made sock puppets before! Tickle Bug? We have NO idea what it is! Can you tell us, Ross? We think ours is a rod puppet. Thank you for leaving an AWESOME comment again!” ~James

“Hi Ross. We really liked your puppet post! Our two favourites were the War Horses and the black light puppets. We liked your favourite puppet too. What was YOUR favourite youtube puppet video? How did you find out about India and Asia crashing into each other? Have you ever seen the real movie War Horse? It has a lot of action in it … just like the puppet War Horses in the video. Wa sthe black light puppet video a real song? We really loved the song! Thank you for the awesome puppet videos!” ~Nick and Constantine

“Hi Ross. Thank you for your aAMAZING comment! I think that all of the videos about puppets and marionettes are really cool because the people who moved the puppets made it look so real … like the goat puppet! At first, I thought it was real then we could see some strings moving so we knew that someone was moving it! I think that our marionettes are rod puppets because we could move the arms. The shadow puppet and the war horse puppet video looked like everything was real. You make us think Ross! Thank you again for your amazing comment!” ~Joyce

http://globalgrade3.cbegloballearning.ca/blog/2013/05/13/presenting-our-global-marionettes/

Reply
    1. rossmannell

Post author

Hello Battalion Hawk Bloggers,

I know your school year will soon end and it will be time for summer break before you return to school for new adventures. It’s hard to believe the school year has gone so quickly but I know you have all made a difference in your lives and the lives of others. 🙂

Lauren and Ella – Like you, my time can be full of activities and it can be hard to answer quickly but I always try to comment in time. Banraku is a very traditional puppet form but I have only seen You Tube clips. Ticklebugs are simple because they only use your hand. My dad would have me giggling with a ticklebug when I was little .

Ben – I suspect there may eventually be people living on Antarctica permanently but I hope it is done very carefully. Antarctica has a very fragile environment. A city would cause major changes if from nothing else, from the heat it would make.
      I have relatives who have been working to trace my family history on my father’s side. I know I have ancestors from very many places in the world. We all do. It’s just a matter of how far back we look. Go back far enough and we are all related. I wrote a post about family back in July, 2012…
      http://rossmannellcomments.edublogs.org/2012/07/10/genealogy-we-are-all-one-big-family-for-a-question-about-the-past/

Danny, Chris P and Tommy – When I come up with an idea for an extended comment by remembering information, I like to research to find out more. I was surprised at some of the puppet types I found but over the years I have used many puppet types for fun and learning. I still have a number of glove puppets I used when I was working with K/1 children. They were great for keeping their attention.

Dimitri – Until I researched, I didn’t know about water puppets. They are a little like rod puppets but the rod is kept underwater so the puppets appear to be walking over the water. Here is a link with more information on water puppetry from Vietnam…
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_puppetry

Chelsea, Rayann and Rebecca – Black light puppets are interesting. You would need fluorescent colours and a black light (ultraviolet light) for them to work but plain white material or paint might also work. I added another black light puppet clip on my puppetry post for you to see. The puppeteers used white gloves as puppets with some flouro coloured props.

Jayden – I once had an ostrich marionette for my class to use. It can take some time to learn how to move it well. I can remember untangling strings many times. They can be fun to use. Look at my original puppet post. I have added a favourite marionette clip from the movie, “The Sound of Music” for you and Joyce (who liked the goat marionette).

Christopher – The Muppets have always been favourites of mine. Most are rod and glove puppets but I know they have had a number of types. I have embedded some other Muppets video clips in my puppet post. They have been in movies and television shows. You will see there were many different puppets including glove, rod and glove, and body puppets.

AJ – There are some classes I have visited using Minecraft as part of their collaborative (group) activities in class. Two children I sometimes care for also play the game. A check online through Wikipedia shows me these are the areas of Peru and Tunisia…
      Peru – 1,285,216 square kilometres
      Tunisia – 163,610 square kilometres
      This means almost six Tunisias would fit in one Peru.
      When comparing nations, we must also look at the land itself. As you know, there are large areas of Canada where few people live just like there are in Australia. For you, it’s the cold conditions. For us it’s deserts.

Amro, Elijah and Tre – I know Elmo is a favourite on Sesame Street. He is the cute Muppet character and the baby of the clan I think. I like him too. I added an Elmo clip to the puppet post. 🙂

James – When researching for your class, I discovered puppet types I didn’t know but a ticklebug was one I knew without knowing what it was called. You use your hand. The middle finger becomes the head or neck and the outer fingers the four legs. You can draw patterns or faces on them.

Nick and Constantine – I am fascinated by the puppetry used in Warhorse. I have seen similar puppets in the form of dinosaurs. They thrilled school students as the “dinosaurs” interacted with students. I have the “Warhorse” movie in my DVD library.
      You might have guessed I have many interests. Science is one big interest and geology is an interest in science. Here is a link to a post I wrote for another class in March this year. It looked at plate tectonics…
      http://rossmannellcomments.edublogs.org/2013/03/08/plate-tectonics-and-our-dynamic-continents-for-mrs-yollis-and-class/

Joyce – There are so many fascinating things in our world if we only take the time to look. Puppets are one of many things I find interesting. I know the goat looks cute. Jayden also liked the marionette goat so I added another clip showing marionettes in the movie, “The Sound of Music”.

Ross Mannell
      Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

Reply
  2. The Battalion Hawk Bloggers

Hi Ross!

Reply