“Wrong” shapes for 4KM and 4KJ

To see the 4KM and 4KJ post...

Learning About Shape

Hello 4KM and 4KJ,

I found your post on shapes interesting. Many times my classes had looked at the properties of 2D and 3D shapes. I have also had to draw shapes very many times but some of my favourites include 3D shapes we might be able to draw on paper but they don't make sense in the real world. Here are two examples.

If I were to cut out a triangle and a hexagon from a piece of timber, paint the triangle red and the hexagon blue then place one on top of the other, would they appear as below? What is wrong with this picture?

Schools and students have permission to use this graphic for non-commercial, educational purposes.

Some 3D shapes we draw can be impossible in the real 3D world. Below is a shape known as a blivet. Look at it carefully. What did you notice?

4 thoughts on ““Wrong” shapes for 4KM and 4KJ

1. Millie and Liv Y

Dear Ross,

Hi, this is Millie and Liv Y from 4KJ.

Thank you for the extended comment post. You must have put alot of work into it.

The thing that was ‘wrong’ about the first shape is that you said you placed one on top of the other but the picture shows that hexagon and triangle are intwined which is impossible to make in the real world. (Unless you built it like that).

The second shape (blivet), looks like a table to us. It shows three legs but looks like there is more because it is an optical illusion shape.

Got to go,
    Millie and Liv Y 🙂

Reply
  2. rossmannell

Post author

Dear Millie and Liv Y,

You have been able to untangle the shapes very well. 🙂

The first isn’t possible if cut from two flat pieces of wood with one placed on top of the others. While I could make something look a little like it in the real world, it would only be possible if I joined parts and altered the shapes so it appeared correct from one angle.

The second 3D shape is an impossibility because what appears to be three rounded legs at the left really aren’t. The right leg becomes the side of the shape at the top side. The middle leg becomes the space at the top and the left leg becomes a face of the top shape. I always find my eyes switching from top to bottom as my mind tries to make sense of the drawing.

Good work for recognising why these shapes were “wrong”. 🙂 The graphics did take a little time to construct but I am then able to store them and possibly use them another time in the future. Besides, by creating my own graphics, I can allow people to use them.

@RossMannell

Reply
    1. Millie and Liv Y

Dear Ross,

Thanks for your reply. We tried our best to untangle the shapes.

Both shapes are really weird and unusual. It was a great challenge for our minds.

Your friends,
      Millie and Liv Y

Reply
      1. rossmannell

Post author

Dear Millie and Liv Y,

The thing I most like about shapes like the above is their weirdness, especially the second one which couldn’t be made in the real world. It took me some time and Photoshop to make them. 🙂
        @RossMannell

Reply